T: (+39) 373 8609280
E: info@cameratafiorentina.com
The Palazzo
Palazzo Bardi was built in 1420 by Brunelleschi. It is located in via dé Benci 5, between the Arno river, the Uffizi Gallery and Santa Croce. The building is considered the first step towards a new model of private Renaissance palace in Florence, changing the late gothic architecture. The courtyard of the palazzo is decorated with Andrea della Robbia majolicas, a crown of big columns typical of Brunelleschi's style, antique marbles and precious Renaissance ironworks.
The Apartment - Where the Opera started (14th of January 1573)
The name of the apartment is due to the fact that in the 16th century the "Camerata Fiorentina" used to meet in this apartment, which was the palazzo's theatre during the Reinassance. The Florentine Camerata was a group of scientists and constituted by the Bardi Count and other scholars of musical theory, among whom was Vincenzo Galilei, father of Galileo. They created new musical principles, merging music to the 33rd "Canto" of Dante Alighieri's Inferno, giving birth to what is known now as Lyrical Opera. More info on this recognized monument of the Renaissance are on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florentine_Camerata. Still hanging from the ceiling of the theatre are the scenic machinery used at that time.
Home    |    About    |    Heritage    |    Services    |    Tariff    |    Apartment tour    |    Booking    |    Contact
(C) Copyright Florentine Camerata